When would you like to visit...
GLENORA is one of Edmonton’s older residential areas. This land claim extended from today’s 121st Street west to 142nd Street, and south from 111th Avenue to the North Saskatchewan River. Many professionals chose to live in the area as they developed their careers and built their families in the new city. During the land boom of 1912, Glenora and the surrounding residential area grew significantly.
Many of the original homes constructed in this time period remain in Glenora, while other homes have been rebuilt over past decades. This provides an interesting architectural snapshot of Edmonton residential forms over the past century. The neighbourhood is currently home to the Royal Alberta Museum, and Government House. Government House was constructed in 1909 by the Alberta Government as the official residence of the lieutenant-governor and overlooks the River Valley.
Some commercial services are available along Stony Plain Road, as well as on 124th street to the west and 142nd Street to the east. The neighbourhood has several schools, parks, and open spaces, including access to the river valley and ravine system. Alexander Circle Park, located at the centre of a circular residential pattern, is an example of the “garden suburb” design concept that emerged in the early 20th century.
The origin of the name Glenora is uncertain. The neighbourhood may have been named after Glenora, a village in Eastern Ontario.
Real Estate Websites by Web4Realty